Friday, October 5, 2007

How Many?

For my paternal grandparents it was 4, maternal grandparents 5. For Sarah’s maternal grandparents it was 5. My family was 3 and Sarah’s was 4. So how many children should a family have? I don’t know, but since our news, I have been thinking about this topic off an on.

One thing that comes up when I think of this is Psalm 127: 3-5: “Children are a heritage of the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. As arrows in a soldier's hand, so are the sons of the young. Blessed is the man who has filled his quiver with them.”

Am I making this a tougher question than it really is? Here are some of the things I think about with respect to this verse. Today we are not trying to: populate a nation, create an army, or build a labor force. Generally, your wife isn’t dying at a young age due to pregnancy complications and the mortality rate of children is thankfully very low (at least in the US). What I guess I am trying to say is that there used to be a need to have many children, but is that need still there? Where do you draw the line? Sarah and I are really blessed. We are so thankful that she has a choice to stay home with our kids, we have food on our table and a roof over our heads. But if we had many more, would I still be able to provide for my family? Is that what it is all about, dependent on affluence? I don’t have the answers, some say that you will know when enough is enough. I thought enough might be at two, but was open to the calling of the Lord. The Lord called, and I will answer. Will He call again????

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with that verse. Especially when it comes to godly Christian homes. We need more children to be raised in them.

Also, it is a very cultural question. In the Philippines they think it is strange to not have a baby within two years of marriage! In America, people wait 5-8 years for their first!

Also, the Filipinos are always praying for us and telling us how we need to have children! Taxi drivers randomly tell me, "You need to have a baby--children are such a blessing!" Their view of children is completely different from Americans.

Same with cultural events. When we have "couples fellowship" at church, kids are often sitting with their parents at the meal! In the U.S. it is always "adult time" and the kids are often viewed as a nuisance or "in the way". In many Asian cultures, the kids are always there and they are part of everything!

Obviously I have been thinking about this too! It is just such a pronounced question as an American living in Asia! It makes me see things from a different perspective!

J